Friday, April 24, 2009

Canberra Zoo

Last week we took a family trip to Canberra. We had planned to pop in to Cockington Green on the first day but, we arrived way too late for that. Instead we met up with a couple of friends of mine for a cuppa, chat and most importantly for the kids, a play a Monkey Mania. What a fantastic place that is! Bridget loved it and showed uncommon bravery in going down the really big slide twice!

We stayed the night with some lovely friends of ours that we met through Rob's school. The next day we did what we had been wanting to do for years, and that was, visit the Canberra Zoo and Aquarium. I must say, Rob and I were pretty impressed. We were able to see more big cats close up than we have ever seen in our times at Taronga or Western Plains (excluding the cougar/ tigers at Dreamworld).

We got to see a tiger being fed, a tiger walking back and forth along a fence about 1 metre from us, a big male lion roaring it's head off then having a smooch with his mate, and a couple of gorgeous snow leopards up quite clese too. The cheetahs were as elusive as always.
Bridget had a great time! It was a great zoo for a kid her age as it is small and enclosures allow close up peeks at the animals. The aquarium was pretty cool. Bridget got to see Nemo and Dory and Gill!! We were blown away by the massive groper!! Heeeeuuuuuge!

Below is a really really brief pic of the groper. Honestly, I've never seen a fish that size before, apart from sharks.


Here are some pics of other, probably more exciting, animals!

The roaring lion

Cute but smelly otters

They have such long tails, snow leopards

Where to after lunch?


Wombat sleeping with it's back resolutely turned towards the pesky public


Red panda having lunch


Tired little chicken


Daddy bought Bridget a gorgeous tiger to cuggle. She was absolutely knackered, and so was I. She was asleep in the car when we got back to Laura and Darren's. I plopped her into her portacot and we both slept for about 3 hours!


I love this photo!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE NODDING HEAD IN CAR PHOTOS!!!

    Sounds like a gorgeous, fulfilling day for the little one (and you!). Serves me right for speed reading at first, though.... was worried what I might see in that 'groper' pic. A-hem. All sorted now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It loks like you had a lovely time! Kids just love seeing all the animals. Bridget looks so grown up - I have to keep reminding myself that they are not babies anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. K - I know! A less than unfortunate name for a less than likely looking fish! LOL

    L - Tell me about it! It amazes me every day that she is 2!

    ReplyDelete